Friday, April 3, 2009

Whoooo?

Today my feet are hurting. Training for hikes isn't always fun. But it must be done. Today wasn't the best day to hike because it was extremely windy but the week was gone and I didn't want to be hiking during conference tomorrow. I meant to hike about 9 miles today but ended up going more like 10-12. Plus I did it with a 15 pound pack on. It really wasn't that bad - except for the feet.

About 8 or 9 miles into the hike I experienced a treat that gave me a thrill. I stopped and looked up into a Palo Verde tree and saw an owl perched on a branch and looking at me. The owl was no more than 10 or 15 feet from me. It was a medium sized owl with "ear" tufts. I'm not sure what kind it was but the Great Horned Owl is a possibility I was in the middle of Phoenix but on the Phoenix Mountain Preserve trail I was surrounded by desert trees and shrubs, cactus, and dust with not a building or vehicle or another person in sight. I spent several minutes looking at the owl - the owl looking at me - and feeling very lucky to have the experience.


So "whoooo" is the lucky one? Me! Very lucky indeed!

(the owl is in the center of the tree - the pictures don't do it justice)





Here is a photo I found on the internet that shows you better what the owl really looked like. I have determined that it was a Long Eared Owl.

No comments: