Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Solar Oven Bread



A few weeks ago I bought a solar oven through Craigslist. They had several listed for sale for less than they sell for online. It turns out that they bought a big batch of ovens in order to get a reduced price. They had a few extras and would sell them for the exact price they bought them for. That was about 30 dollars cheaper than online. So I jumped for one. And yesterday I finally tried to make some Solar Oven Bread.




I got out my wheat.


Ground it into flour.




Stirred and kneaded the dough. Formed it into the black pan that came with the oven. I let the dough rise in the warm sun coming through my window.



Before long it was ready to put into the oven. I had placed the oven outside earlier to get it "warmed up" and ready to go.




When the oven was going it was between 200 and 250 degrees inside. The instructions said to cook the bread for 45 minutes to an hour. I left it for an hour.




When I brought the bread in and took it out of the pan it looked like a cake and wasn't browned like a loaf I would cook in my oven.




But it cut like real bread.




And it tasted like real bread too - REAL GOOD BREAD!!






I must say the bread was a success! I baked 2 "loaves" and they both came out great! The missionaries were at dinner and seemed to like the bread as well. This morning I took some to my tennis ladies and they were all very impressed! So the Solar Oven Bread experiment was an overwhelming success. YES!!

3 comments:

lindzandrob said...

Wow. That is a funny looking loaf of bread, but it is really cool that you made it in a solar oven!

Shirl and Bill said...

Well, what do you know.
Guess they work after all
Looks good!

becky d said...

Nice. And a round cutting board to go with the round bread? Sweet!