Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Window Wells

Last week I decided it was time to clean out our basement window wells. They looked like someone had decorated for Halloween using fake spider webs.  Only the webs weren't fake and I didn't think the missionaries liked seeing them through their windows.  So after exercising - down I went.  I was sure to wear a hat, work gloves, long sleeves, and long pants - to protect from any spider web or spider getting on me.  I took a garbage bag - to collect leaves, twigs, and trash in.  And most important, I took a broom - to get rid of the multitude of webs that had formed. 

It was gross work.  Did I mention spider webs?  There were many.  And along with the spider webs what do you think I found?  Spiders.  Luckily most of the spiders were daddy long legs.  I'm not too afraid of those.  There were a few small unidentifiable spiders - but mostly slow moving daddy long legs.  So in each of the 5 window wells I would sweep away the webs and smash the spiders.  Then I would collect any debris that had collected in the window well.  Last, I would spray around the windows and ladders with bug spray to slow the spiders' returns. 

What surprised me was that in 3 of the window wells I also found lizards.  A total of 5 of them.  Luckily they were dead.  If they were alive and moving around that would have creeped me out - totally.  So I also had to dispose of 5 lizard carcasses.  I can't imagaine why they couldn't/didn't just climb out of the window wells.  I guess they couldn't figure out how to do it.  Four of them weren't too hard to get rid of.  But the 5th one was a monster.  Really!  It's body was longer than my foot.  Here are the photos to prove it.


3 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

You have the weirdest ( or is it ie )varments at your house!!

becky d said...

Gross.

Kevin_Amold said...

Wow. That's legit