Saturday, June 13, 2009

One adventure I did not like


We finally have a garage. It is a two car garage that is housing only one car. Actually our truck calls it home. We need to get a storage shed out back before the white car can move in. We like having a garage.

But there are some garage rules.
1. Make sure you know your car is all the way in before shutting the garage door.
2. Make sure you don't pull too far into the garage making it impossible to get into the house.
3. The stuff in the garage can't be put anywhere. It must be placed back where it was so that the car can get back inside again.

These rules were the basic ones we were following pretty carefully. But those rules don't ensure a safe and orderly garage experience. Let me explain.

I was leaving on Wednesday morning for tennis. I grabbed my water bottles, my tennis racquet, my hat, my purse and was out the door. I pushed the garage door opener button on the wall of the garage and the door opened. I placed my "stuff" into the back seat of the truck and then got in myself. I started the truck, put it into reverse and slowly and carefully began to back out of the garage. I was attentively watching out my rear-view mirror and everything was going OK until I heard and felt a "THUMP". "WHAT IS GOING ON?"

I began to look around and realized that the garage door had closed onto the bed of the truck. WHAT?? I hadn't pushed the button to close the garage -AND- the garage has a sensor that prevents it from closing if anything is in the way, but. Wait a minute here! I put the truck in park and got out. Sure enough the door was down and resting on the bed of the truck. Something wasn't right here.

I quickly surveyed the situation and figured it out. As I had closed the back door of the truck after putting my tennis things in, I had also inadvertently closed the Emergency Release Pull Rope in the door. So as I eased out of the garage it tightened and then pulled enough to release the door from the opening mechanism and it just coasted down onto the truck. I didn't even see the rope when I closed the door. I didn't even think about it.


A quick call to Doug and he had me push the door up, which I did. And then back out, which I did. Then close the door, which I did. He was coming home to see if he could get it figured out and get it engaged into the opening mechanism, which he did. He also shortened the red pull cord so that I won't have a repeat performance.

I have since then added one more rule to the safe and orderly garage experience:
WHEN CLOSING THE VEHICLE DOOR - DO NOT CATCH THE PULL CORD INSIDE.

I am an adventurous person but that, my friends, is

one adventure I did not like.

2 comments:

Lckevan said...

haha that is funny. Hope the truck wasn't damaged.

evans said...

do you have one of those foam balls on a string hanging in front of the car so that you know that when it hits your windshield, you've pulled in far enough?... I always wanted one of those.