Monday, July 13, 2009

Wicked - It's OK. It's OK. It's OK.

Wicked Was Wonderful! Hey great allitteration on my part. Yes, Saturday night we went to the Gammage Theater and saw the Musical "Wicked". I thought I would like it. I had heard some of the music and really liked that. I also thought I knew a little about the storyline. But most of my impressions about that were pretty much wrong. It is a sort of pre-quel to the Wizard of Oz. I won't say more - but it was really good. And we all know that "no one mourns the wicked", but by the end of the performance - I sort of did. I give it two thumbs up!

As a side note our programs had a small insert in notifying us that Elfaba's mother would be played by the understudy. In the program it had an article called: "Understanding the Understudy." It explained that while using an understudy "might mean we get to witness one of the most exciting things about live theatre: something going wrong." For us the understudy did fine during her maybe 2 minute appearance. But the main star had a boo boo. The "Popular" song was just finishing and Glinda was all wound up and excited and waving her wand in the air. Suddenly it flew from her hand and past the bedroom set-up on stage and landed back in the darkness somewhere. Then we hear Glinda saying "It's OK. It's OK. It's OK." Over and over again until she busted out laughing. Then Elfaba with not an ounce of joy in her character couldn't hold it in any longer and she burst out laughing too. After an uncomfortable pause in the action, Glinda stomped over and got her magic wand and then they took a deep breath, got back into character, and proceeded with the performance. It was quite funny to see that happen.

P.S. We weren't cheap, cheap, cheap on this folks. We had great seats (our tickets were in the 3 figures range because our friends who snagged the tickets like the good seats). We were in row 8, I think. It was a wonderful view to a wonderful performance.

No comments: