Friday, July 10, 2009

Wildlife Rescue Queen

Once again I am busy saving the wildlife from certain demise. The story:

I was outside washing out the paint brush and roller. I heard something and looked up to see a quail on top of our fence by the side gate. I thought to myself, "That's weird. Usually quail just stay on the ground and run - only flying if necessary." But maybe this bird heard the water running and was really thirsty? Whatever. So I kept watching the bird. It seemed annoyed by something. Then it flitted down into the back yard. Then I saw the problem. One teeny tiny baby quail was in the back yard. It had probably run into the yard under the gate and the mom was trying to get it back in the front. The baby quickly joined it's mother and they slowly walked toward the gate but then the mom couldn't/wouldn't go under and then just flew up and over the fence. On the other side it encouraged it's baby by making mother quail sounds. The baby wasn't going under that gate though. So I lept into action. I decided that I could help encourage the little bird to join mommy on the outside of the yard. My approach did get the baby going. It ran and ran and ran. It tried to get by me and into the expanse of our back yard. But I was quick and kept one step ahead of this "waskawy" quail. Soon the bird darted under the gate. I came out to make sure things were OK with these two fine feathered specimens. But by the time I got around to the front neither of them was anywhere to be found. So I will take that as a success and one more gold star on my "kindness to animals" chart. And I'm thinking that I could start a business called - Carrie Selin: Wildlife Rescue Queen. How does that sound?

1 comment:

evans said...

First of all, how do you know that you didn't chase the birds directly into the mouth of a hungry cat waiting on the other side of the fence. You said the bird looked annoyed, maybe it was nervous. Then it flew down to tell the baby to not be scared and that mom just had to go back for little Betty. When the mom flew over, and got eaten by the cat, mind you, you decided to chase the baby out under the gate too, thus giving the cat a nice dessert. You should really be more careful when trying to save the animals.

Second of all, you need a reality tv show. That will earn you more money than starting a legitimate business. The title sounds right though, or maybe "Carrie Selin is: Wildlife Rescue Queen". Something catchy like that.