Thursday, May 27, 2010

Catching Up #2 - Moms

Today I will blog about moms. My thoughts about moms came while I was in Utah - I was there for Mother's Day and I took some time to reflect on the topic. We all have moms. Here are my thoughts about moms.

Did I mention that my mom flew to Utah with me? Yes she did. She flew up to see Evan graduate from BYU. She tries to come for those types of special events. Luckily she loves Utah and that is where most of those special events have happened for my kids so far. My mom did a wonderful job of raising 3 daughters. She worked hard, sewed us matching outfits, played the piano and had us learn songs to sing together in public places (I'm still trying to forgive her for that one - just kidding), and encourages and supports us now. I mean - who could ask for more? She even adopted another daughter about 5 years ago - the cannine variety. Yes, I couldn't tell you about my mom without mentioning Billie. Love you lots, Mom.


Shanna is a mom now too. This year was her first Mother's Day as a mom. She had sort of a rough time birthing her son, Calvin. But she is a wonderful mom. I loved seeing her deal with the "joys" of motherhood while I was there. And even though I love little Calvin so much - it seems he has been challenging so far. He cries quite a bit. He doesn't nap much. He has been a high maintenance baby. Through her C Section and recovery, Calvin's NICU stay, and learning the ropes as a new mom, Shanna has been a real trooper. She is a great mom! I think those challenging days are getting fewer. Calvin has the cutest smile ever. And I cried when they were all packed up and left for Idaho. I love that mom and her little family.


Lindsey is another mom that I love. She was the reason for my extended stay in Utah. Just 3 days after the BYU graduation baby Zachary was born. So now she is a mother times 2. She very adeptly managed to parent Sadie - a sweet but active 2 year old. Now she has a son, Zachary too. Lindsey managed the transition beautifully. She is very capable, she is patient, and she loves her kids. Loving this mom is easy.



And while I am at it - I am a mom too. I loved being in Utah and spending time with my two kids. I love them (and their spouses)! My other two kids are in Arizona and are doing well. I love them too! As I think back on my years with babies, young kids, teenageers, and now adult chlidren - I know I had many weaknesses. I wasn't patient enough. I was too loud at times. I am sure my kids can think of many more things I could have improved on. But amidst all my shortcomings - my kids have become wonderful, talented, and successful adults. They make me a proud mom.

4 comments:

Lckevan said...

You were the best mom in the world!

trudy said...

Carrie, I enjoyed this blog, very much. Yes, I can tell you are a very proud Mom and Grandma. Love the pictures too.

becky d said...

You're one great mom!!

Kevin_Amold said...

Great post. You did great raising us. Thanks. Hopefully we bring some fulfillment to your life.