Sunday, September 25, 2011

FHE - Mystery Dinner

We actually had a planned FHE a few weeks ago. WE did an oldie but a goodie. We had a Mystery Dinner. The participants were: Doug, Isaac, Kristina, Scott, and myself. The idea was that each of us would be given an amount of money. We would go to the store and buy anything for our dinner. It could be something you cook. It could be something already cooked. It could be a protein, vegetable, or dessert. Participants could hook up and jointly use their money to buy something together. They COULD NOT spend more money than they were given. No pitching in a few cents - AND we would collect receipts to make sure there was no cheating! The left over change was also collected - this was not a money making event for the participants! If some basic sauces or butter or ketchup was needed - those items could be used out of our home supplies. Also whatever you selected, you were responsible to cook and get ready for the Mystery Dinner. PLUS - all items had to be shared with everyone. No keeping your items for yourself!







So this night we were each given an envelope with $3.50 inside. We all drove to Fry's and then scattered.


Doug got what I thought he would. He got a bag of frozen french fries. Then he surprised us by getting a box of a chicken flavored noodle side dish and a single package of Fig Newtons. Nice touch. (Isaac busting in on Doug's photo op.)


I ended up getting a package of spaghetti and a jar of sauce. Basic and a little boring but it would fill us up if everything else was sweets.



I had to get stuff for Scott because he was going to be a little late. But he had thought out his contribution and it was a real winner with everyone. He wanted to get stuff for guacamole. So he had enough money for one avocado, one tomato, and a guacamole spice envelope.


Isaac and Kristina pooled their money and got two giant burritos, a bag of Sour Cream and Onion chips, and a pcakage of M&M cookies. Yummy! So for their burritos we used some salsa and sour cream from the fridge. Also Scott's guacamole went really nicely with the burritos.






After I had shopped for myself and Scott I had some extra change. I also got Doug's extra change and went back in for a couple of candy bars for dessert. I had enough for of them. So I put the Milky Way with Doug's dinner, the Snickers with mine, and the Twix with Scott's.



After all the shopping was done I collected receipts and change. This was all that was left over - 53 cents. Pretty good. I would count that as a successful FHE - Mystery Dinner.

3 comments:

Kevin_Amold said...

I'd say everyone enjoyed it.

Shirl and Bill said...

What a neat idea. And everyone got what they liked!......

becky d said...

I think we'll have to give the FHE a try. Especially when I'm short on time!