Tuesday, June 22, 2010

SOCKS

Does anybody remember the socks Scott got for Christmas? Lindsey or Rob? Do you remember? Yes, those ones - the soccer socks. Have you tried to forget?

Let me fill everyone in. Lindsey and Rob were here for Christmas. They bought a gift for Scott. A thoughtful gift. A nice colorful pair of soccer socks. And we all know how much Scott likes soccer (World Cup, big party at our house, watching 5 am games on the Spanish station, face tattoos, etc.). Back to the story. When he opened the socks we sensed something was wrong - very wrong. And sure enough the socks were a little small. Actually they were kids soccer socks. We all got a good laugh out of that.

Well, Sunday was Fathers' Day - not Ultimate Fathers' Day - just Fathers' Day. And so there were gifts here for the Father of the house - Doug. He got a couple of shirts and a pair of pants from me. Scott wrote a nice poem and gave him a gift card. Then Isaac gave him some - wait for it - socks. And immediately I sensed something was wrong - very wrong. They were small - very small. I started to giggle and couldn't stop. Then the giggle became a real belly laugh. My eyes started to water and , well you know. I was having a laughing fit and couldn't stop. Everyone was looking at me with blank stares. I tried to explain that I was remembering the soccer sock incident - but that was probably a little white lie. What I was thinking was this - "We have another soccer sock incident happening here."

Now in Isaac's defense when he bought socks I told him to make sure they weren't really big ones. Doug has small feet and sometimes that is a problem. So I told him to look close and be sure to pick out smaller socks. And sure enough he did just that. Doug put the socks on and assured us all that they fit him. But I still had my suspicions. Later in the day when I was alone and upon close inspection of the label there was a background picture of a kid on it. So my first impression was correct. He had indeed bought kids socks for his dad. And they probably will fit him at least until they go through the wash a couple of times- a grown man wearing kids medium socks - not information that everyone needs to know. Oh well, it's too late now.

1 comment:

Lckevan said...

Haha. Thats hilarious!