Monday, April 11, 2011

Black Cat

I was looking out my kitchen window this morning. I was watching my hummingbird feeders. Two of them were nearly empty. I made a mental note to myself to fill those feeders today. I didn't see any birds at the feeders. I watched for a while - still nothing. Odd. It has been rainy and windy and I would think the little hummingbirds would be eating like pigs. But no. Nothing.

I stretched forward, over the sink, to get a better look. What do you suppose I saw? Yep! A black cat! Dang! It was crouched or curled up just below the hummingbird feeders! I think it was looking for an easy snack before breakfast. No wonder there weren't any birds out at the feeders. They didn't want to become that black cat's breakfast! It was like the old Sylvester the cat and Tweety bird cartoons. Sheesh! I hope that black cat didn't already eat any of my friends. I sent Doug around to scare the black cat away.

It wasn't but a few seconds later that the birds began coming around to get their tummies full of delicious fresh nectar - made from scratch in my own kitchen. So I had to make another mental note this morning. Note to self: Watch out for neighborhood black cat who likes to make snacks of my hummingbird friends!

1 comment:

Shirl and Bill said...

Poor birdies. Too scared! SCAT!