Thursday, April 28, 2011

Three Strikes

I ran a quick errand to Target on Tuesday. Target is like the closest store to our house. Anyway, I had my list and needed just a couple of things. I was watching Billie for Mom but I figured she'd be fine while I went on this quick errand. But before long I would realize that I was in a sort of "virtual softball game" and would be fighting for my life while at home plate trying to get a hit.

If you remember Tuesday was a very windy day! I parked and gathered my purse and keys and opened the door. As fate would have it just as I opened the door and swung my legs to get out a huge - and I mean huge - blast of air blew in just the precise angle so as to blow the door right out of my grip and crash into the car next door to me. It was a silver sporty type car - RATS! I looked immediately at the damage. There was a sort of white scrub mark that morphed into a pink and then a slight red mark at the end of the collision site. RATS and DOUBLE DARN!! But there was not actual body damage. Luckily our truck had a sort of clear sticker on the edge of the door that sort of acted to protect it from just this sort of mishap. A quick buff would surely fix the problem. So I waited for a few minutes hoping that the owner would appear and just smile and shrug and I'd be off the hook. But no one approached. So I wrote a note and a short explanation and my home phone number. I said to call so we could work out the situation. But before I left my vehicle I took a few pictures. Just wanted to document the damages on the spot. Judge Judy would be proud. I folded the note and forced it into a slightly cracked window. That would be Strike One!

I parked and walked in to encounter my second problem. They were totally changing the layout of Target. I could find things before with precision. Today I had to wander and search. That also added some time to my trip. Strike Two! I needed to be quick - Billie was home alone. But I worked hard and eventually found what I needed and headed to the car. I worried that a huge body-builder guy on steroids and angry would be out there just waiting to pound me. But I found my truck and the owner of the car next to me had already left. No note left for me. No intentional scratches or dents left for retribution. I heaved a huge sigh of relief and headed for home.

When I got the the red light that would let me out onto Northern I was the first and only car there. But the truck began to run really rough. I put it into neutral to rev up the engine but nothing happened. It just eventually died. RATS! RATS! RATS! I tried to start it over and over again - it always started but didn't seem to get any gas when I stepped on the gas pedal. Strike Three! I called Doug - he started for home. The only good thing about this whole incident is that we put Roadside Assistance on our insurance for the truck. So I called and they arranged for a tow. Eventually we got towed to the repair shop. Some electronic sensor was bad and needed to be replaced. Any guesses on price? $600. (That's just the part too - no labor) WHAT?! Well that was quite an expensive trip to Target.

So just like old times - Three Strikes and I was out.



P.S. Funny things happen when you are waiting for a tow truck. I put on the emergency flashers and raised the hood on the truck. I left the truck so people wouldn't feel it necessary to shake their fists and swear at me. But even with those very visual signs of distress it was amazing at how many people pulled right up to the back and waited for it to get going. Most people eventually figured it out. But a few pulled right up there and honked and got all worked up. I suppose they felt a little foolish when they realized the truck was indeed advertising it's broken condition and there was not a soul around it to get mad at. That put a smile on my face.

3 comments:

Kevin_Amold said...

Rough day at the office, huh?

becky d said...

I'm sure glad your not on my softball team. Geez.....

Shirl and Bill said...

Not to mention the mess at home you had to clean up!???