Thursday, September 6, 2012

A first


 I had a first today.  I roasted hatch chilis.  Why did I do that?  I got a box of produce that included the chilis.  So to prevent wasting my money AND wasting the food it was required that I perform a first. I ran into a problem right away.  Most advice said to roast them outside on the BBQ grill (I still don't have one of those) or in the oven (I didn't want to heat up the house).  So I pulled out our 2-burner camp stove and fired up the burners.  I got out my 2 cast iron skillets and put them on the flame.  Then I put the chilis into the pans and let the roasting begin.  It was not a hard thing to do.  But it was outside and I was dripping sweat while doing it.  The good thing is that when the chilis had cooled off I managed to peel the skins off and cut up the chilis and freeze up some baggies of green chilis for future use.  So I would say that my first at roasting chilis was a success!

Roasted and cooled chili
 
Another view
 
 
Roasted and peeled chilis
Stem and seeds had to be removed as well.
And I didn't even mention carrots!

1 comment:

lindzandrob said...

Looks yummy. I have never done that either!