Friday, September 7, 2012

Vacuum

Remember my post about the Goodwill Clearance Center?  I said I had purchased something that I would describe later.  Be seated for the tale.

I mentioned that there were tons of bins.  I found myself usually alone picking through a particular bin.  The masses knew the routine of old bins out after 2 hours and new ones in.  So they targeted the new bins.  Well while I was making my way around the room I happened on a bin with vacuums in it.  I saw a small Eureka Mighty Mite vacuum.  I immediately wanted it. 

May I explain my immediate desire for the vacuum.  This ward we has done 3 house cleanings in the past 4 - 6 months.  I think it may becoming a trend.  But all 3 of those cleanings included Karen (Checkets) Smith.  She used to clean houses for a job so she is well equipped.  She always came with her standard cleaning supplies.  That included a Eureka Mighty Mite vacuum.  This vacuum was very light weight, it was small, it was great for any material - chunky even.  We always used it and it was great.  We always used it during our cleanings.

So this one that I saw was dusty and dirty and looked beat up.  But I picked it up and gave it a thorough inspection. 

Inspection:
1.  Cord was firmly attached and wrapped onto the body of vacuum.  It had no nicks or cracks either. 
2.  The body of the vacuum, although nasty dirty, was complete.  There weren't any cracks. The front hatch that housed the dirt collection bag worked great.
3.  The tube was attached.  It was nasty dirty too.  But it seemed in good enough shape.  The attaching mechanism was still working.
4.  When I removed the tube to check it out there was grass and weed ends sticking out of the vacuum collection compartment.  The vacuum had a bag in it so it had been used and was turned in full of debris.  To me that was a good sign.
5.  The wheels on the vacuum were intact and unbroken.
6.  The on/off button still seemed to work.
7.  I took the vacuum to a plug and (drum roll please) it had suction!

The vacuum passed said inspection - I wanted to buy that vacuum.  I mean what if Karen Smith doesn't come to a house cleaning with me?  Right?  Anyway, I went back to the bin to see if there were any attachments that might be from this vacuum or another one that would fit.  Just as I got to the bin what do you think occured?  Yep, the bin collectors came and without fanfare removed all the bins that had hardware and household items.  Yikes!  I took a quick look just in front of the collectors but found nothing.

Anyway, when I went to check out I paid 7.99 for the vacuum.  Not a bad deal.  I cleaned it up.  It was gross!  Got some bags for it.  And now it looks like this:   

I have already used my Eureka Mighty Mite vacuum  a couple times.  I do need to find a good end for using it on a flat floor or carpet.  But other than that - it is a keeper!

No comments: