Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Reaching New Heights

We have a basement. There is a window up in the area where the stairs go to the basement. I noticed a dead fly and dust and other "stuff" on the window sill when I was outside cleaning the windows the other day. That window is nearly impossible to get to on the inside. The one landing where a ladder can stand is to the left of the window. The next landing is to the right and farther down. The ground is - way too far down. So how would I clean that window sill?

Well I chose the landing on the left - that way I could use my right arm (I'm right handed) to reach to the farthest corner of the window. But my arm alone wasn't long enough. I had to get out my Swiffer extendo duster and a nice furry extention duster that my mom just gave me in order to reach far enough.

We padded the top of the ladder so as not to scratch or scuff the paint (there were already some scuffs up there). Then with my tools at hand I started up the ladder. I couldn't change the angle on the blinds or pull them up to give me room to operate. So I had to force my hand/arm behind the blinds and dust the window and sill as good as I could. I didn't dare do too much leaning because I didn't want the ladder tipping over. While I was there I also tried to dust off the blinds but after finishing that I realized that I did a pretty lame job at that. I also took the opportunity to paint the scuffs that were way up there.
At one point, in the middle of my treacherous job, while I was Reaching New Heights, I called out to my family for a little assistance. No response. I called again. Nothing. So I climbed down the ladder and looked around for some help - I found the guys outside glueing the bottom onto the puddle duck boat that dad and the priests are building. I think they were having fun while I was working up a sweat. Something doesn't seem quite right about that. What do you think?


Compare the pictures and figure it out.

I made quite an exciting discovery while I was Reaching New Heights. I found an electronic gizmo wired up to the blinds. I took note of the name of the item and then looked it up on the internet. And guess what? It is an electric gadget that will change the angle of the blinds and possibly be able to lift and lower the blinds. HEY, THAT WOULD BE NICE! Doug quickly emailed the company and is trying to find out if we can get a new remote device so we can put the gadgetry to work. NOW he's interested in my project. Sheesh! A little earlier would have been nice. But we all know dad's nickname - Johnny Come Lately. He lived up to that today.

2 comments:

becky d said...

Johnny come lately came too early on Sunday morning I guess. You didn't get any of the cereal. Hmm.

becky d said...

Oops, Saturday morning I mean.