Friday, February 12, 2010

TP

TP. Everyone knows what TP is. Right? OK. Now I won't have to waste my time typing out the entire phrase "toilet paper". Good. TP - a strange topic, one might think. But really it is a topic to which everyone has a connection. Yes, a connection - every day - several times a day. Enough said.


Side Note: Evan and Shanna have a sign in their bathroom that makes you think twice before you dare to tear a square (hey, that rhymes) of TP. A sign in their bathroom proclaims, "Wipe small - Save Big".



On to my post. Years ago, when all the kids were in grade school, there was a weekly junk paper that was delivered to every home. The paper was called The Pennysaver. Our kids had a couple of Pennysaver routes. First Scott and Evan shared a route. Then they each had their own. Eventually Lindsey and Isaac had routes too. I think our kids delivered to the entire neighborhood - from 35th Avenue to 39th Avenue and Dunlap to the canal. It was a good little job for them. They earned a little money and learned how to save. They also learned how to work. But alas, the jobs dried up when the paper quit publishing.

Occasionally there would be an "add-on" to be delivered with the papers. There were soap samples, maybe coffee samples, shampoo samples, etc. These add-ons were more work and so the kids would get paid more for delivering on those weeks. They loved the extra money. An added benefit came when there were more samples than papers to deliver - then we would get to keep the extras. I can't remember specifically any samples we got to keep other than - drum roll please - Charmin TP. They were individually wrapped rolls - and we got the extras. I put them away in a closet and forgot all about them.

However, when we moved to this house, I found the long forgotten rolls of Charmin TP. I packed them up and moved them with us to the new house. I put them in the Gold/Mustard bathroom and we started using them.

We are now down to our last roll of the TP. The last roll hangs right now on the holder and will shortly be depleted. I just wanted to thank the delivery boys - and girl - for the TP.

And yes, Shanna and Evan, we are "wiping small" trying to "save big".

2 comments:

Kevin_Amold said...

I almost forgot about those add-ons. We got paid extra when that happened?

Carrie Selin said...

Yes the pay was usually so much per item. The different items were different amounts. The more difficult the item the more it paid. But the pay was like 3 cents per paper - something like that. I saved some of the pay stubs - when I come across them I'll see if I can figure it out.