Monday, September 13, 2010

Bountiful Baskets



I have some friends who get a Bountiful Basket regularly. Actually my new Visiting Teaching partner is a site manager every other week. So I have been meaning to sign up and try it on the week she is the big boss. How it works is that they have designated delivery spots and you sign up for the one closest to you. Then they take the numbers of people ordering and the $$$ they gather and buy stuff fresh from the produce guys. And the contents is just like a "box of chocolates" - you never know what you are going to get. So guess what? I finally did it. I put an order in.

On Tuesday I went online and made myself an account and signed up for a basket of fresh fruits and vegetables. I would have to pick it up on Saturday at 7:15 am. The cost is $15 (plus tax and new member fee). But I have talked to my friends and they say it is well worth it and the produce is fresher and everything.

So on Saturday morning I took my cardboard box to pick up my stack of produce. As luck would have it, the truck making the deliveries was late (the lift gate fell off!). So we waited and waited and waited. While we waited we watched the volunteers scurry around and distribute the goods into waiting baskets. When they were done they got to share in the left-overs that would not evenly distribute to all the waiting baskets. Hey, maybe I'll volunteer sometime. Anyway, eventually there was a long line of people and their "baskets" snaking down through the school parking lot just waiting.

Once they finally got to the business of giving us our goods the line when very quickly. I signed in and was directed to a basket transfer volunteer. That person helped me to put my stuff into my box and out of their basket.

I'm sure you are dying to know what I got for my $15.
Here is the list:
6 healthy full ears of corn
6 apples
6 big bananas (6 must be the magic number this week)
large bag of green grapes
3 huge zucchini
1 large head of cabbage
1 leaf lettuce - might be romaine
1 honeydew melon
4 nectarines
2 plums
1 8 oz. package of Baby Bella Mushrooms
So what do you think? Was it a good deal or not? Shanna - I want your input.

Either way I put the cabbage to good use and made some delicious egg rolls last night for dinner. They were a huge hit! Now the big question is whether I will get a Bountiful Basket again or not. Only time will tell.

3 comments:

trudy said...

OH OH OH, I'll sign up!!!
Sounds like it was worth it. Can I have the recipe for the eggrolls?

Shanna Selin said...

I thought about doing that this summer but I never did because I was afraid I wouldn't like whatever produce they decided to give me. Sounds like it works out great for you though!

Shirl and Bill said...

Good deal.....I would never use it all but a family sure could.