Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Square Foot

You all have seen our back yard - it is pretty big. I have wanted a garden but there is so much other fixing up or organizing or cleaning to do that I have't gotten around to it. Also I don't want to take the time to put a garden in the ground and then determine that we want the storage shed put there. Then I would have to move it. What to do?



So this winter I decided to put in what they call a Square Foot Garden. That is where you build a border that is usually 4' x 4'and then add a special mix of compost, soil, vermiculite, etc. The dimensions can differ but if you have access to each side of the garden a 4' x 4' is ideal. If you position it against a wall or fence then the ideal width is 2' x 4'. After building the border a weed barrier is placed on the ground first and then the garden is assembled on top. Then you divide your border into 1 foot lengths and mark the "squares" onto your soil. There are directions about how many plants can be put into each square - usually 1, 4, 8, or 16 - depending on the variety of plant. Peas can be planted 8 per square but not evenly spaced. They are planted down the middle of the "square" so that eventually you can put up a frame for the peas to crawl onto. I ran out of pea seeds so I filled the last 2 1/2 squares with some spinach.

This method of keeping the soil moist seemed pretty cool but was quickly abandoned because it seems that I like to go out and water the garden myself.

So I planted and watered. I watered and watched. I peeked and prayed. Until just a few short days later I could see that the plants were growing. Yes! Now my garden looks something like this:



I will keep you posted on my success with
Square Foot Gardening.
Maybe you'll even get to taste the fruits of our success
- if you time your visit just right!

4 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

Oh my Gosh! Did you wear out your calculator figuring this out?!!!
How neat. I did that onece at the old house. Got brussle sprouts and a couple of other things.....

trudy said...

Good Luck... Keep us posted

becky d said...

Our square garden was a success! The only thing that did not produce was tomatoes. We had two or three then the birds felt like it was their right to peck at the few that tried to grow. We still have swiss chard growing and peppers that we will never eat. Yours looks very professional.

becky d said...

Okay, I kid you not, the word verification I had to give to post my comment was meweedn. Get it? A garden post and the word I had to type was 'me weeding'. It fit.