Monday, August 9, 2010

BOO

I wrote earlier about my little white hummingbird friend. I have named my friend - Boo. It comes and goes. Darts in and out. Eats daintily from the feeder. And like all the hummingbirds at my feeders it chases and is chased.


None of my little friends, Boo included, like to share. There are no less than 14 holes through which they can lap up the delicious and sweet nectar - but sharing is not an option.


It sort of makes me mad. There is one "watch dog" that seems to claim ownership over the entire supply. It sits atop the shepherds hook from which the nectar hangs in the sun. The head twists around and looks up and down always on the lookout. His ears listening for any sign of another hummingbird brave enough to approach. When an approach is made the chase is on. And they are fast! Anyway - I have lovingly described these chases as "Hummingbird Wars".


But Boo is pretty persistent. He doesn't seem quite as skittish as some of the other birds. Boo bravely tries to hold his position at the feeder and only leaves when under direct and aggressive attack.


I sent some of my pictures of Boo to a "hummer" lover. And the response back to me was that this bird is indeed an albinistic hummingbird. This is an extremely rare bird! And I feel lucky to see this beauty daily.


Pictures of Boo:


Video of Boo - Action is in first half of shot.

2 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

How cute is that! She's a pretty smart, fast, cookie!!!

lindzandrob said...

Wow. That is a really cool looking hummingbird!