Thursday, August 19, 2010

Ironing

Since mom put a post on about ironing I thought I could stay with that topic. I also have a lot of ironing. I put it off as long as possible. When I finally get out the ironing board I have a full day of ironing ahead. In the summer - that is not a fun thing!

But I have had a problem with my ironing board. I used some cloth I had to cover it a couple years ago. It was the first time that I tried to cover it. I put the material on wet and then used some strong string underneath to cinch it up really tight. Then as the material dried it got even tighter. As I looked at it the word "perfection" came to my mind. I was pretty proud. That feeling lasted only a few minutes.

Why? Because when I went to move the ironing board I realized that I couldn't fold it up. I tried and tried. Then I saw the problem. The string I had used to cinch the material tight was stretched in a zig-zag pattern back and forth across the bottom - preventing the leg from sliding into a folded position. Rats and double darn! What was I thinking?

Well since then I have done a lot of ironing. We even moved to our new house. All the while the ironing board remained in the full upright and standing position. But Wednesday all that changed. I got some more material. I cut it and stitched it. But this time I sewed a channel that held the string. Then as I cinched up the material the string remained out of the way. The results were another tight cover. Yay me! Then for the first time in over a year I folded the ironing board. Another successful and productive day complete.

2 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

Been there, done that....
Looks nice though

becky d said...

Wow! Sweet! Do you have a website we can order one from?