Saturday, August 14, 2010

Tennis

This morning I got a call at 6:00 a.m. In case you were wondering, I was already up. A tennis friend of mine called and asked me to substitute today for someone who was sick. I'm usually up for a couple hours of tennis so I agreed to play.




There are 8 ladies who play tennis. We draw numbers for partners. When we get partnered up and on our assigned courts we play a match. Then the winners of the match move on to play on the winner court. The "runners up" move down to the losing court. Both sets of ladies split up and play with a new partner. Then the match is played. Again, when that match is over another switch of courts and partners is done and the last match is then played. We have courts for 2 hours and we can usually finish 3 matches in that amount of time. However, somedays when the teams are very evenly matched the games take longer and we may or may not get 2 or 3 matches completed. But we are an informal group so none of that really matters much.

Today I Jan was my first tennis partner. She is nice enough and is usually a pretty good player. But today she just couldn't get in her groove. I did pretty good if I do say so myself. We lost the match. We moved to the appropriate courts and switched partners and started match 2.
It became apparent very soon that our team was the better team. One game/Love. Two games/Love. Three games/Love. Four games/Love. Right about now I start feeling bad for the opposing team. I am usually thinking how bad it would feel to lose all 6 games. So I am thinking that if we win the 5th game that I will jump into action and try to "throw" the game so that they can get a win. That sounds noble, right? Well we did win the 5th game. So I was going to try to lose a couple of points and hopefully launch them to victory. I would give them my baseball swing and hit them long. Or maybe I would hit them wide. I always chase down tennis balls with vigor and wouldn't stop that. But somehow I needed to do some mis-hits. Well, the other team basically took it out of my hands. They self-destructed and despite my intended efforts I couldn't help them win a game.

So even though I tried really hard not to,
I served them a big BAGEL (O) for breakfast.
YUMMY!

3 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

rah,rah,rah,

lindzandrob said...

Nice one!

evans said...

Hope none of your tennis people read this...