Monday, August 30, 2010

88

It seems I have a number theme going strong. So why mess with a good thing? Today I would like to talk about the number 88. It was a really good number for me the other day.


I found a great bargain at Penneys for 88 cents - not dollars - cents. I came out of the store with this lovely blouse and I only needed one crisp green one dollar bill to pay for it - AND I got change back. Pretty good.



Now a few days back my sister, Becky, was bragging about getting an 80% discount at her favorite store - JoAnn's. And the real story is that her husband, Doug, threw it out without letting Becky see it. He probably thought he was saving money by not letting Becky get any good ideas about buy anything else at JoAnn's. But Becky's bargain hunting nose led her to the trash can and she retrieved the ad and discovered the "scratch and reveal" percentage off. So she marched herself right into the store and wasn't about to leave without a purchase worthy of the discount.


Anyway, let's see how I did. The shirt was originally priced at $36. As you can see on the receipt the total cost before tax was 80 cents. And according to my calculations - that means I got the shirt at 97.775% off. I think I'm right about that. And tax added another 8 cents - but I don't count that (highway robbery) for a grand total of 88 cents.





So I got the best bargain to date.


Please post when you can beat that.


Until then -


I'm Carrie Selin


the Bargain Queen.

4 comments:

Shirl and Bill said...

Only someone who wears a size 0 can find a bargain like that!

lindzandrob said...

sheesh. That is amazing! I wish I could find bargains like that!

Shirl and Bill said...

I have worried all morning about my comment.
The blouse is lovely, love the color and you look great in it.

becky d said...

I will concede the crown of bargain hunting to you - for the time being. I will have to hunt far and wide to bring in something that has any more percentage off than that sweet deal. homina-homina-homina......just imagine me coronating (?) you with the sword of 'slicing' prices. homina-homina-homina.....you may now rise.